Sunday, March 7, 2010

500 Days of Summer: You Make my Dreams Come True


I feel as if I was the last person to finally see 500 Days of Summer, but boy was it worth the wait. I instantly feel in love with this movie. Im actually watching it again as we speak; I loved it that much. First off what a way to catch the audiences attention... The movie starts off with a "Legal Disclaimer" stating the following: "any resemblance to people living or dead is purely coincidental'....Especially you, Jenny Beckman. Bitch." I mean seriously, the director had me at hello... or I guess I could say he had me at "bitch". Instantly I was intrigued. (Read more about Jenny Beckman HERE) The the movie continues to impress me. I love the handmade quality of the sketches throughout the film and how it jumps back and forth throughout the 500 days that Summer had a hold on Tom's life. I love the way there is a story teller who provides you with the background information on each charter. How cute is the part about "boy meets girl"! "Summer Fin was a woman. Height: average, weight: average, show size: slightly above average... while she rides down the street on her fabulous bicycle. -Very 1950's, in both tone of voice, images on the screen and the black & white film when these sequences occur.

Overall I found 500 Days of Summer perfect in every way. The music was a joy, the script was outstanding and the editing of the movie was absolutely inspiring (especially the expectations vs. reality sequence towards the end). By far my favorite part was the dance sequence set to "You Make my Dreams Come True" . I mean come on, we all have those days when everything seems to be going better than planned... the sun is shinning, the birds and chirping, a smile is on permanently plastered on your face and you can't help but break out in to song and dance with all the passerby's on the street joining in. At least I know I do, in my imagination anyways. Check out the video below, its sure to bring a smile to your face even if you haven't seen the movie yet.

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely a fantastic movie, and what a perfect cast! "500 Days of Summer" and "Away We Go" have been my favorite surprises for awhile now. And like you said, everyone can identify with that dance sequence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not seen this movie but I certainly will now. The video was fun to watch and brighten my day. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh i loved this movie just saw it again tonight...such a good movie and the expectations and reality was a favorite part of mine

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin